Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2008

Preparing for a new beginning

It is pretty hard to put in few lines everything that happened in the last months (?).
It is kind of silly to say I hope I will be able to write more often now 'cause I should base myself on previous similar moments.
[pfff.. my English got worse since the last time (?) or maybe it was like this before and nobody noticed. hahaha]

Here I am... sitting in "my" new kitchen, in "my" new place, in "my" new town, summed up: in "my" new environment: Berlin. 2-3 years ago I was thinking that my favourite city in Germany is Munich. Was I wrong?! (more about it here) But in the last year I had more ‘free time’ to enjoy the gorgeous Hamburg and to discover (in 6 times only) this wonderful city which is Berlin.

In one week I will have the honour to celebrate my 1 month anniversary (don’t freak. I am talking about 1 month since I am here :) ). Cake?! Will try, but the things needed to prepare one are still in Hamburg. :-s

I managed to go only once to Hamburg in these 3 and a half weeks. 2 weekends ago. It was my last weekend in my former room. A big event. Actually when I moved out, on the 14th of September, I ‘celebrated’ exactly 1 year living in that room. Pretty nice, isn’t it? I don’t remember telling many things about my 2nd year flatmates. But again, it has been a long time since I posted the last time.
But coming back to that weekend of 26-28 September. Actually the whole period, from middle August till now, was a little bit crazy.. if not a lot. :)

Dividing the events on periods:
End July – beginning of August: entering a terrible ( :) ) panic that I am not going to find an internship. I was constantly hearing the q: "did u find an internship?" o "wie sieht’s es aus mit deinem praktikum?" (in diff versions..)
Beginning of August – my personal bank consultant ( :) ) was starting to ask me if I have a deposit in some other bank (and in which amount.. cause he can make me a better offer- hahahahhaha), A very good person in the university (from the same International Office, where I worked from the beginning, who is taking care of the Overseas students) had an idea to offer me the opportunity to earn some additional money by helping her a little. This was the moment when I decided to reconsider the idea of going home for some days. The reasons: a wedding of one of my friends from the university + my parents' beautiful 29th anniversary. I don’t regret at all taking this decision. The only thing is that now I find myself in the same situation I was when I moved to Germany (will skip this part..)
These 4 days home were the best ones in such a long time… (more about it here)
Middle of August: 22nd of August – left for Aachen to meet L & R. They were supposed to start their Master in something pretty much similar to what I did/am still doing in Hamburg. (more about it here)
Just before leaving (Thu) I phoned the 2 companies where I had applied (more than 1 month prior) for an internship cause I wanted to know something before going away for ‘holidays’. The standard answer was more or less: Thank u very much for calling, for showing the interest in our company. We know ab u & ur application. It is still in processing. We will let u know within a week. Left for Aachen (Fri). Got 2 mails (Monday): 1 rejection and 1 'fyi'. [Talking, of course, only ab the positive step,] They had sent my application to one of their tochtergesellschaften. These ones were supposed to get in touch with me. Which they did. I got a phone call (Tue) from this company telling me that they got my application and that they received also my thank u email (an answer to my forwarded application).
A pretty complex process but this is the way they do it here. Hahha
It was a nice phone conversation. Was terrified, of course. Hehe. But we got to an understanding: 1 phone interview the next day (without internet and any notes :-s) and 2nd interview (if 1st one ok) on the following wed at their headquarters in Berlin. :) (more about it here)
End of August: Wed, 27th Aug – had the phone interview. Went ok. Left for HH the same day. Got there at midnight. Thu, the 28th Aug – woke up at 6.45 to meet my houseadmin to hand over the GHS key I had for 2 weeks. Went to uni to work for some hours (still needed to do the 3h scheduled in the job), run home to pack (i.e. to take out some thick cloths and put some summer ones for home + 3 dresses.. hhaaha), run to catch the mitfahrgelegenheit to Berlin.
(more about it here)
In Berlin I stayed with Bo, an old friend from Hamburg [but she is originally from Manchester, ähh Poland :)]. It was her last night in the dorm. (It took me 6 months to visit her and I chose her last one... hehe). Had a great time. [We didn’t go out. Stayed in, packing. Actually she packed. Her flatmates helped her. I was extremely tired. :) I stayed in the 3rd room, an empty room which the houseadmin forgot to close. :) Soooo.. a huge bed only for myself. ]
Fri, the 29th – Bo and I went together to the airport. She had to pick up her BF from the same airport, at the same time. She decided to wait with me in the line, but it turned out to be not such a good idea, as there was only 1 woman in charge of the check in. At the line: romaniaaaaaaaaaans. hahahaha. I will skip the part between preparing to take off and landing in Bucharest [, although it was funny to see the woman from the security getting a little bit angry while checking one Romanian who had her jeans full of metal parts ( :)))))) ) or to hear the passengers (again Romanians) arguing with (i.e. screaming at) the stewardesses during the flight. :)].
End of August – Beginning of September: @Home. Great time. At the wedding?! Hmm.. it was pretty nice to take part in it. At home with my parents and my aunt?! Best 3 days. I’m glad I had also the chance to see my best friend, even if it was only for 3h and these almost falling asleep. (Sorry, A) (more about it here)
Wed, the 3rd – flying back to Berlin. I stayed at another friend of mine who was there for a language course. Was a little bit scared about the interview, felt not really prepared for it (more about it here), but I did it. It is time for a new beginning. Am I ready for it?

FAZIT: Ich hab was verloren, ich hab was gewonnen.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen